Thursday, November 4, 2010

Why is it So Hard to Get Feedback?

Some of you may know that I've been out of work for a while now. I've been extremely lucky to have a number of interviews, thought; but still no offers. In some instances, I've made it pretty far in the interview process, only to come up short.

I try to learn from experiences, but it's not always easy. On those occasions where I've had face-to-face interviews that I thought went well, and didn't get the job, I'll typically ask the hiring manager what the differing factors were, so that I could better prepare the next time.

In nearly every case, my request is met with absolute silence.

I know the concern over lawsuits and discrimination; but - honestly, is it really that difficult to find a reason that is actually legitimate? Hell - even it it's just the "more experience" copout. Frankly, though, when silence is the only response, it leaves me with the impression that there WAS discrimination involved.

It's especially frustrating for me, as I'm putting forth a real effort to get a job (and, actually most people I *know* that are out of work are doing that, as well; but I know there are many out there who aren't looking nearly as hard as I am). If I'm asking for ways I can improve for future interviews, my interest is genuine.

Alas, I don't see the practice changing anytime soon. I think the fear of litigation is so prevalent that straightforward, honest responses aren't on the horizon. And, that's a shame for everyone.

3 comments:

Crank Crank Revolution said...

I fear you are correct; the threat of litigation is too high. Most HR individuals will gain nothing by giving you information, yet could end up the victim of a lawsuit. So why would anyone provide you with any information?

As far as I'm concerned the HR interviewing process is straight-up fraud from tip to tail. But that is a bitter, bitter discussion for another day...

Grete said...

Is it an issue of wording? If you leave any comparison to the selected applicant out of the equation, you might get a more willing response.

As a manager, I am always prepared to answer the question "what could I do to improve my fit for this position in the future?", but I wouldn't go near "what did the other guy do better?" with a 10-foot pole.

Anonymous said...

I'll normally say something like, "what could I have done better" - but even that is typically met with silence.

Actually, my direct quote (from the last one of these I sent) was

"I am unsure what more I could have done --- I do like to learn from experiences, though. Can you let me know what the deciding factors were? I am, obviously, continuing to apply for roles in internal communications, and if there was something I could change, to ensure I land the next opportunity, that would be great!"

At some point, maybe I'll consider posting about my experiences (protecting identities)... there is an awful lot of "fraud" as Steve says, I think.

Post a Comment