Saturday, November 20, 2010

Feedback, Sorta.

I'm writing this post right before I head to bed (so, I'm going to count it as Friday's post, even though it's in the wee hours of Saturday morning). It's also going to be quite short.

I had an interview this past Monday -- I didn't feel particularly good about it. The interview asked me a total of four questions -- 1) What did I know of their company; 2) What did I think of their company; 3) Where I went to college (more of an aside, as in, "oh, you went to New Paltz, right?) and 4) What makes me "weird."

Then, she asked if I had any questions. The whole interview lasted, perhaps, 18 minutes, and she spent the time on her laptop, barely making eye contact.

So, I received the rejection letter on Thursday, not surprisingly. I elected to handle it well, and said all the right things -- if anything changes, please let me know; and of course, I'd love to learn from the experience, so if you could let me know where I could improve that would be great (something I've talked about before).

As I was food shopping today, I received a call -- it was from the recruiter, who wanted to get back to me and felt, "sometimes, phone calls are better for this." And, of course, there's no paper trail -- or maybe I'm jus too cynical these days.

She went on to say there was nothing I could have done differently; just that others had more of what they were looking for. I followed up and asked, "well, what were you looking for?"

"I don't really know," she answered. "I didn't get specifics on the candidates."

So, then, how can you honestly suggest there's NOTHING I could do differently? If you don't have any feedback on me (apparently, all the recruiter got was a list of names with "yes" and "no" next to each one), how can you offer feedback to me?

I can appreciate the call -- really, I can. I see what they're trying to do, in showing their 'customer service' angle; but, quite honestly, when the feedback is so meaningless and unfounded in truth, it's almost less insulting to simply be ignored.

1 comments:

Matt71 said...

The recruiter is clueless and so is the company.

It's amazing how many clueless people manage to keep their jobs. I've witnessed and have heard some stories that leave me speechless wondering how some keep their jobs and this is just another one of them.

Post a Comment