Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Month of Posts

Back when November started, I was entertaining the idea of participating in National Novel Writing Month, as my first post of the month outlined. I quickly scuttled that idea, since -- for the most part -- one needs a story idea to write a novel. And, National Blog Posting Month became the focus of my efforts.

And, at times, it was hard. Even ideas for a blog can be tough -- especially when you don't have a directed focus (I'm not such an expert that I can devote a whole blog to one subject). But, there is a sense of accomplishment that I wrote every post, each day.\

I'd originally intended to make my last post a "Looking Forward" post -- especially with Christmas on the horizon. I usually decorate quite heavily for the holidays: lights, a big tree ... in years past, I set up a really large Christmas village (probably close to 100 buildings). However, after my "I want to pretend I'm still a kid" weekend, my decorations still aren't completed -- I will finish them and get pictures up this week.

In completely unrelated news, I had a good meeting today (with my DMG - Depressed Marketing Group, as one friend refers to it). I met what I hope will be a good contact: someone who understands social media with a lot of good contacts. Who knows where this may lead.

I'm still staying optimistic - there are no fewer than nine positions I'm waiting to hear back about, and some are very good fits. I've resigned myself to not landing before next year (with hopes that I'm wrong, which would be pretty awesome). I also know it only takes ONE offer to totally turn things around.

I won't say I enjoyed writing every day for a month -- I'm in a spot now where I feel like there's 150 things to do and only time enough for 50; so nearly every thing I do - be it personal or professional - is bumping something else out. But, I *did* enjoy hearing from people who said they were reading (some read it EVERY day, which is incredibly flattering).

One friend asked once if he could "share" something on Facebook (I think it was my weekly list of jobs I'd applied to that week). I said, absolutely! The key is to get your name out there and known. Nothing pleases me more than seeing people sharing my blogs and notes on Facebook with others -- that's the viral effect of social media. So, consider this to be "permission" -- for anything I post on Facebook or on this blog, you can feel free to share it with others. It's through those kinds of efforts that my own group of readers will expand, thus increasing my own 'brand'.

I'll almost certainly be cutting back (from every day), but not quite to the levels of my friend Lily (who, apparently, believes blogging is a quarterly activity!). Once again, thanks for reading!

1 comments:

Lily Zajc said...

Haha Chris...you knew I'd be reading this...My pre-New Year's resolution - I'll post a blog once a week (hey, and don't forget to follow me...I know you'll be waiting with baited breath for my next post!)
I really enjoyed today's social media lecture with our marketing group...as depressing as it is to be out of work this long, sharing this "state" of affairs with my peers does bring me out of gloom for a while.

Post a Comment