Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How did "My Name Is Earl" get so prophetic?

More recently, I've found myself living the mantra of "My Name is Earl"; namely - do good things and good things will happen to you.

I can't say I've always lived this way - I've never been one to actively be mean-spirited to people; but I've also not gone out of my way for others, usually. I've really perfected the ostrich approach to life -- head in the sand, and it's not actually happening.

But, as I continue through my journey to finding a new place of employ, I've come to realize that, perhaps, Earl had it right.

So, I've already led two presentations for my jobseeking group (one on using RSS feeds to aid a job search; and one on blogging (how to set one up, etc.), and I'm repeating my RSS feeds presentation in two weeks). I've helped a few other people land jobs -- in some cases, by providing them with information to help them ace interviews; and in other cases, by helping them revamp their resume.

I've always tried to be helpful with computer issues; this week, I already have plans to overhaul one friend's computer; and I'll probably do some extensive work on another friend's next week. And, even more recently, I've become an even better friend, I guess -- talking with friends about all sorts of personal matters and issues befalling them.

Some of this, no doubt, is maturity. Some is genuine concern/care for my friends. And, some of it may be my subscribing to the "do good things" mantra I mentioned above. And, maybe, as one friend alluded to, today, I do it because it helps take my attention off my own issues. That's certainly a possibility, as well.

But, mostly, I'm gonna go with the concept that I'm building karma. As I help others to do more effective job searches with better resumes; and I gain a small sense of accomplishment of helping people through their issues, I can only help I'm building credit in the karma bank; and that -- someday -- I'll be able to collect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment