Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Guitar Tournament - The Champion

After 41 days and 13 rounds of voting, from a field of 320 songs, one has emerged triumphant in the Greatest Guitar Solo Tournament.

America has spoken -- although not quite to the tune of 30 million votes, as per American Idol ... but close!

Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" claims the top spot.

This is incredibly surprising to me -- I don't think of the solo as being one of the best known; or one of the most technically proficient; or one of the most audacious. But, consistently, this song dispatched its competition, so convincingly, that there can be no doubt.

I had thought a Pink Floyd song would be in the finals -- although, I had thought it would be "On the Turning Away," which was eliminated earlier on. Clapton's "It's in the Way that You Use it," was another contender in my eyes, but it ran up against "My Sharona" (which, as I posted about last time, was my top choice).

In retrospect, this was *a lot* of work -- and it was overly ambitious. And, the limits placed (to make it at least manageable) didn't work the way I'd hoped (there are many, *many* amazing guitar solos in songs that never  hit #1 on a chart; but then, this survey would never be over!)

I think I'll stick to significantly smaller surveys from now on -- maybe 128 total entries (and, preferably 32 or 64) -- the sheer number wasn't even what made it so lengthy; it was also the amount of days. 41 days is a long time to hold interest -- and the tournament definitely saw voting interest wane towards the middle and pick up at the end.

Thanks again to everyone who stuck with it; and -- if you're one of those who voted in *every* round ... you may need help!

(Tomorrow, I hope, I'll be returning BACK to the focus of this blog again -- with a post on networking and the need for a wingman)

0 comments:

Post a Comment