Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why Networking Matters

I’ve put off writing on my blog for a while. And, as such, this may be a little long; but it’s definitely important, which is why I’ve promoted it like crazy (via email, etc.).

Despite my last post, where I indicated that I was staying upbeat, it’s been difficult. I’ve recently started doing a little freelance work, just to supplement my unemployment, although it’s not what I’d prefer to be doing. I definitely do want/need a full-time permanent position.

Some of you have been quite helpful, and that’s great. I’m definitely appreciative of any help I receive in terms of recommendations. I’ve been fortunate enough to read some of the recommendations, and they’re humbling, to be sure.

I wanted to take the opportunity to do a few things here, though. First, if you’re not already connected with me on LinkedIn, please do that – it’s a fantastic resource, and you can access my entire history/resume. It’s also easy enough, then, to forward my resume/profile on to others.

You can access my profile on LinkedIn here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cjpalermo, and then, just request to add me to your network.

And that’s really the crux of what I want to talk about here. Again – I’m always appreciative of any help I receive, and I’ve been fortunate to receive some good help so far.

For those that don’t know, I send out a list of all the companies I’ve applied to, and the titles of the positions, each week, to a series of social networks to which I belong. Then, people look at that list, and say, “oh, I know someone at this company” and – sometimes – they’ll reach out to that person and try to help grease the wheels for me.

And, that’s great – really, it is. There hasn’t really been a situation where it’s worked out, yet; but I have to believe, at some point, someone will reach out and it will make the difference.

But, in all honesty, that’s not networking. Networking needs to be more proactive. While reaching out after I’ve submitted a resume can be helpful, it’s far more helpful to reach out before the job is available!

It’s hard to hear, “oh, I know so-and-so at Company ABC, and I see you just put in a resume there; I’ll reach out.” It would be infinitely more valuable to have made that contact earlier.

So, for example, if you know someone at a particular company – someone high-up, a director/VP/president, etc. – it’s far more valuable to make the introduction for me ahead of time, and allow ‘me’ to become a contact of that person. Then, periodically, I can check in with that person and see about openings that might be coming up. And, of course, if a job DOES appear, I already have an inside track to someone in the company.

And, these people could be anyone – professional contacts, your neighbors, your children’s friend’s parents … there’s no limitation to where a contact could originate.

That being said, if you don’t already see my weekly list of jobs/applications, and you’d like to, let me know. In addition to posting it on social networks, I send out an email to those people who don’t have ready access to my networks, and I’d be happy to add people (in addition, I can provide a list of the positions that are “pending” right now).

A few months ago, I wondered what I should be doing – should I continue with communications? After all, I won an award for my work – but, the offers aren’t exactly banging down my door. Should I move to something less creative (where I have a pretty good set of skills; but no real experience) – like retail management, or something similar? Should I move to something fully creative and start to explore the likelihood of doing fiction writing (and, of course, suffer the wrath of my wife, along the way!)

One thing is for certain, I have experience and accomplishments in the world of communications and its ancillary tasks, like public relations, etc. Again, feel free to check out my LinkedIn profile, to get more insights as to what I do.

We’ve come to realize that moving off Long Island may be an option, and it’s one we’re looking into. For the right opportunity, anything is possible. There are definitely areas we’d prefer to head towards – Lancaster, Pa.; Washington, D.C.; upstate-ish New York; and parts of Canada (Hamilton/Toronto, etc.).

Again, though, for people interested in helping me move to those areas; there’s already one big strike against me, in that I’m not living there already (and, companies are gun-shy about candidates from out of the area). It’s far more helpful to get actual leads – contact people who have hiring responsibilities – than it is to just get job listings. Listings are good too; of course; but nothing beats leads and contacts.

Just to reiterate, three key things:
1. Please connect with me on LinkedIn, if we’re not linked already.
2. Proactive networking is far more helpful.
3. Let me know if you want to be included on my weekly email list of jobs I’ve applied to. You never know when there will be a match, and – I’m also well aware – it only takes one match to get an offer (and, I’m not greedy)!

Thanks for reading all this. As always, I’m grateful and appreciative for any help anyone can offer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment