Saturday, September 18, 2010

How I Do My Job Search

Despite my continued unemployment, I do receive compliments from other job seekers on my job searching ability. Like most things in life, I try to be efficient, thorough and meticulous with my job search. I thought it might make sense to outline my steps, especially for those who are still stuck in this seemingly never-ending cycle.

It should be no surprise, that there are two main traits you need to have -- organization and persistence. I'm going to go through my entire process.

The key element (for me) is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, which is my Bible for the task. I have several columns - date (for when I first find the job), location (whether Long Island, NYC or somewhere else), company name, position title, URL/source (I just cut/paste the website address or enter in where the source originated).

Those are all the details I enter BEFORE applying to the job (I fill in more after applying - that'll appear later in this post).

Each day, I run through my gmail account and my google reader account. I'll probably get 15-30 emails a day of job searches and leads, and I'll see anywhere from 800-1200 jobs a day in google reader (again, not all are matches; when you're looking for something as ubiquitous as "communications" you do get an awful lot of jobs that really don't fit; just because they require the applicant to have good "communications" skills).

I've done several posts about using RSS feeds to speed up your job search, and -- while I won't rehash those tips here, I will show just how dramatic the effect can be. On a given week, I'll see, perhaps, 6000 jobs through google reader (and a bunch through gmail, as well). I can do my search in 30-45 minutes each morning, checking out the relevant positions and entering it into my spreadsheet.

Conversely, if I were to go to each website on my own, not relying on RSS feeds or the shortcuts I outline, how long would it take me? I probably have 400-or-so sites that I check. Even if it took me 90 seconds per site (an incredibly quick amount of time), that would still be 10 hours! To do that daily would be suicide; to do it weekly would still be nearly double the time it takes me to check my RSS reader on a daily basis. There's no comparison.

Okay, let's move on to the job-sending day. I send resumes out once a week; sometimes twice a week, depending on the number of positions. I, obviously, do one more check of gmail and google reader and then, regrettably, I have about 35-40 sites that simply offer NO feeds nor option for email alerts ... okay I'll check those sites manually.

I'll then send out follow-up emails to those companies I wish to follow-up with, from the week before. I'll explain how I get that information, in a little bit.

Off to the races - my LEAST favorite part of the job seeking cycle! I have a cover letter that I quasi-customize for each role. I have bullet points that I can alternate, depending on the position's responsibility; and I have a few key paragraphs I can either add or delete, depending on the industry; for the most part, though, the bulk of my cover letter remains static -- why wouldn't it? It's about me; and I don't change all that much. I, obviously, change the company name, the position name and where I saw the job.

I used to have multiple resumes; but I really don't any longer, since all my jobs that I apply for, basically, ask for the same skill set. Once I apply, I begin filling in the rest of my spreadsheet. I include the date that I applied for the job, how I applied (whether via email or online application), whether I want to follow-up in a week (totally contingent on two factors - my interest in the role *and* my ability to get an email address to send a follow-up letter), whether I want to follow-up indefinitely (this is more a case of -- I *really* want this job, and I'm going to hunt to find some contact information so I can reach out again), the person's name to whom I'm applying (if I have it) and his/her email/phone number.

And that's it. I do leave one column there for "outcome" - although the vast majority have nothing in it. Certainly, I get my share of rejections; but most companies simply don't even acknowledge the resume submittal. I do, however, list the status of the job -- so whether it's a phone interview, an in-person interview, etc. At any given moment, though, I can find out if I've applied to a company before, whom I spoke with, how many interviews I've had (55, between in-person and phone, although, that will be up to 59 by next week).

The system works pretty well; and -- more importantly -- if the Department of Labor was ever interested in auditing my job search, I have more information available than they usually request; all of which makes the process more worthwhile.

Does this help get a job? Obviously, I'd say "no." I have the most organized job search I know, and it doesn't help. It does help keep my mind focused and enables me, in a moment's notice, to see the status and contacts I've made (and, whether I've applied for a position already -- in some cases, the fact that it's being advertised again is hint enough that I didn't get it!) And, more importantly, it saves time -- despite being unemployed, there are a million things to do, just in terms of getting a job (let alone the things life demands of you). Any savings in time; any process efficiency is worth it.

I'm always interested in hearing suggestions/recommendations from others, so don't be shy; share!

3 comments:

Slyde said...

i think the idea of keeping a spreadsheet with the info you noted is a great idea.

i will definitely be using it in my next job search.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope you never need it.

Latindog said...

Sounds like an excellent system. Good luck.

Post a Comment