Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Welcome, Fall... Where I'm at in my life

The past year (almost, actually - it's been nearly 11 months since I was laid off) has been a slew of emotions for me, obviously. As I pointed out in an earlier post, the plight of the unemployed is never easy to gauge. I've run the gamut from enthusiasm to depression, and I'm still not sure where I'm going to end up.

More than anything, the past year has been educational and illuminating. I've learned quite a bit about myself and the job search process.

I've learned that I'm an outstanding grocery shopper -- routinely, I'm able to 'save' more than I spend at the store. In fact, I almost consider it my personal challenge at each store. As some know, my wife's overtime was cut the same day I was laid off, and -- even with that significant decrease in income -- we were able to not accumulate debt and, in fact, paid off any existing debt (although, frankly, that ship has sailed now).

I really haven't felt like we've need to do without a lot -- we eat, we have shelter, we have our health. We cut back our spending considerably, and, although we probably would return to the old ways somewhat, I never see us extending ourselves the way we were again. I focused more on friendships and games, and doing things that bring me joy without requiring a whole lot of spending.

I've experienced unprecedented apathy on the part of hiring companies. I completely understand companies not contacting each applicant; but, in my opinion, once the person is called for an interview, the company should eventually let the candidate know. More recently, the newest phenomenon has been for companies to not even *reply* to emails/inquiries about my status. Even more astonishing, people that send me an email, asking me to schedule a follow-up interview; and then never reply to my emails!

It's a far different time now than when I used to go on interviews and knew I would be hired, quickly. There's just a lot of people out of work now.

I've often said that my skills are transferable to any industry, any company; and that I don't even necessarily have companies that I'd like to work for -- and, while that's still largely true, there are certainly some companies I'd love to work for, I think.
  • Amtrak
  • Long Island Rail Road (I *love* trains)
  • Elias Sports Bureau
  • Anything to do with high school sports
While some of those are unrealistic -- the salaries would be dwarfed by my unemployment claims each week -- it is nice to see that I'm identifying some interests (although, I would easily be equally devoted to any company that hired me!).

And each passing day, what I once saw as a potential now becomes more of an inevitable. The likelihood of us having to put our house up for sale looms ever larger. The prospect of relocating to another area is more realistic every day. And yet, I still stay upbeat. I still stay optimistic. I fully realize that it just takes ONE phone call; ONE lead from my network of friends and colleagues.

I walked outside this evening -- I absolutely love this weather; a brisk, windy, drizzly evening, more reminiscent of late October than late August -- and I realized, even as bad as things get, I still have my health. I still have my wife. I still have my family.

I'm going to be okay.

4 comments:

Scott Nerney said...

Amen my friend! I'd tell you to look to RI, but we're even worse here at over 12% unemployment and not much change on the horizon. The local politicians are saying NO to 2 latest attempts by companies that want to bring jobs to RI, one a wind farm off the coast and one Curt Shilling's 38 Studios. I think it's a matter of time that the state just closes and sells itself in a yard sale.

Julie davidson Meyers sent from iphone said...

I've said it before but you constantly wow me with your writings. Chris draft me something ( a covet letter) about wanting to wk with trainsand resume. A friend of mine, I think uncle had or has a huge job either at lirr or something like that and I wd be more than happy to pass on. Funny enough my friend is also into sports professionally somewhat abd as a fan! Good luck to you!


Sorry. For awful awful grammar. 1/2 asleep and in a shaky car. Please send me resume or ask me what I was trying to convey :)

Nicole Walter said...

It definitely is frustrating when you send out resumes and no one replies to them and then when they do, it's not followed up on. I've had those situations happen to me over and over. It seems like they look for a gap in unemployment and just delete you as a possible candidate. In my opinion anyhow.

You are right though. You have a lot to be thankful for. Please keep that in the front of your mind when you are feeling blue. I enjoyed reading this post and know you will find something soon. It HAS to happen for you.

Anonymous said...

@Scott - wow, that's remarkably upbeat. Definitely testing my optimism :)

@Nicole - this is truly the most awful job seeking I've seen. We both, for example, have a good amount of experience; and yet, these days, if you don't have *exactly* the right industry experience, you're already dead in the water. The concept of 'transferable skills" is nearly comical at this point.

@Julie - I'm going to send you something via Facebook. Thanks a bunch!

Post a Comment