Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rush at Jones Beach - 7/24 (video-heavy)

This is a break away from my normal topics, obviously. I am not an avid concert-goer. I consider them, mostly, to be too expensive. In general, my criteria for attending a concert is that I have to know, pretty much, the artist's entire catalog of music -- when a song starts playing, I want to know it (even if I don't like it).

Essentially, that limits my potential concerts to Liz Phair, Rik Emmett, Maria McKee (although, I did see her in concert, and was quite non-plussed); and -- from my childhood -- bands like REO Speedwagon, Hall & Oates and Kiss (although, again, their *newer* stuff isn't really my taste). And, of course, Rush, whom I make a point to see every time they come to the area.

The past two years have been fairly groundbreaking for the band. They appeared on The Colbert Report, for their first American television appearance in more than 30 years. Their diehard fans were, effectively, the subject of the comedy film I Love You, Man.



And, this year, a documentary -- Beyond the Lighted Stage -- was released.



Beyond showcasing the band's impressive musical skills, the documentary also displayed the members' senses of humor; which was always apparent to fans and concert-goers; but non-existent to everyone else.

And, for younger fans, the band has regularly made appearances in the popular Guitar Hero/Rock Band series. In fact, the band's magnum opus, 2112, will be featured in the upcoming Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock game. Clocking in at more than 20 minutes, this will introduce an album that is nearly 40 years old to an entirely new group of fans.

Despite a steady fan base and consistently strong record sales (only The Beatles and The Rolling Stones had more consecutive gold/platinum album releases), and their regularly sold-out concerts, the band has notoriously been dismissed by critics. In 1981, Rush was nominated for its first Grammy award (for best instrumental performance) and the iconic YYZ fell short (to The Police's "Behind my Camel" ... really?). This was the first of six nominations the band received; never winning.



The fact that the band has *still* not been inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is now so laughable that it practically renders the Hall of Fame irrelevant (again, seriously, Depeche Mode has been inducted?)

On its last tour, the band led off its, arguably, most famous song, Tom Sawyer, with a comical film from the South Park team.



This year's tour would be no different. Humor abounded, as the band celebrated the pending 30 year anniversary of its landmark album Moving Pictures. So, on an incredibly hot and muggy Saturday evening, I ventured to a jam-packed Nikon Theater at Jones Beach (one of America's Top 10 outdoor venues), to see Rush for, probably, the 10th time?

As in year's past, the show began with a video - longer than previous ones - that served to introduce the respective songs while showcasing the sense of humor. One particularly cool touch to this year's tour, was the "Time Machine" (for which the tour was named), which was present throughout much of the show. As songs were played, the "time machine" would set to the year of release, providing those of us longtime fans in the audience with a little more depressing news as to our age...



The first set breezed right through - about an hour, in total. The setlist:

  1. The Spirit of Radio
  2. Time Stand Still (a shock to see it included in the setlist, as I wouldn't have thought this would really ever be played live, but a happy shock)
  3. Presto (another shock, as this was my favorite song from the Presto album, but it was definitely overlooked in favor of the more rock-oriented Show Don't Tell)
  4. Stick It Out (in every Rush show, there's a period of time where I simply don't care for the songs being played -- Stick it Out is one of those songs, and I knew the next few songs would probably be songs I didnt' enjoy much -- I wasn't wrong)
  5. Working Them Angels (from their most recent album -- I wasn't a fan of this song (although, I wish I had been ... I *wanted* to like it more), but I have my theory on why this is (later).
  6. Leave That Thing Alone (instrumental, another of the Grammy-nominated songs)
  7. Faithless (from Snakes and Arrows - their last album - more on this later)
  8. I Was Brought Up To Believe (one of their two newer songs, from a yet-to-be-released album, and given the texting-generation-friendly title "BU2B")
  9. Freewill (a return to the iconic songs of Rush's past; from here on, the rest of the show had precious little 'fodder")
  10. Marathon (from the band's synth-heavy phase, that - at the time - raised the ire of some diehard fans, who resented the move away from guitar-oriented rock).
  11. Subdivisions (probably my favorite song by the band, and a great way to end the first set).
The second set included the entire Moving Pictures album, for the first time (probably, since the album's release). Again, a humorous video led off the set - "The Real History of Rush", followed in succession by the band's seven songs from the album:



  1. Tom Sawyer
  2. Red Barchetta
  3. YYZ
  4. Limelight
  5. The Camera Eye (seeing this song, alone, was worth the price of admission - in fact, while the first four songs are all concert staples, the second side of the album (the next three songs) are all concert rarities.
  6. Witch Hunt
  7. Vital Signs
  8. Caravan (the second of the two "new" songs Rush has released -- this one, musically, is pretty great; the vocal and melody line are weaker (again, more on this later))
  9. Drum Solo (there's always a drum solo at a Rush show)


  10. Guitar Solo
  11. Closer to the Heart (which featured a modified ending -- the first time I've seen Rush manipulate a song's "sound" in concert).
  12. 2112: Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
  13. Far Cry (from the Snakes and Arrows album -- and, while I love the song, it was an odd choice to end the set with this song).
At this point, the standard, "oh, we have to keep clapping so they do their encore" show began; thankfully, it didn't last long, and they emerged to lay their third instrumental of the evening - La Villa Strangiato, albeit with a "polka-esque" beginning; and finished with Working Man, an anthemic tune, again, with a reggae-inspired beginning.



And, the show concluded with yet another great video -- this time featuring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel (the two stars of the afore-mentioned "I Love You Man" movie. There were some funny moments in the finale video; but I suspect it might have hit a little too close to home for some more "zealous" fans.



So, what were my thoughts?

Overall, it was a great concert - but, I've really never been to a Rush concert that wasn't at least very good (and that was only because the acoustics were awful at one show).

That being said, I've long wished that, like other bands, Rush might have alternating set lists. Pearl Jam, from what I can tell, does that -- each show is unique and different; whereas Rush plays the exact same show, each date on the tour (which also makes me question why people see the show more than once in a year....)

Additionally, I haven't been as impressed with the newer material. I know bands tour to support their newest album; but - honestly - when the band's catalog is as deep as Rush's, I'd rather hear the vintage material (even if it's a deep track from the CD).

I don't know why I haven't loved the newer material - part of it is the standard has been set rather high. From 1977-1982/3-ish, Rush put out some amazing music that still stands the test of time; but as I listened to Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, even Subdivisions, I can't see anything new that really compares to it. Even a song like Far Cry - a great song - is still a pale comparison to the classic material. Why might that be? Well, certainly, the lyrics have moved from "fantasy-based" to "reality-based" on some levels; there's definitely less mysticism in the lyrics.

Musically, the band definitely still has its chops; but the complexity has taken a step back. Whereas earlier music featured changing time signatures and key signatures, possibly for no reason other than "because it could" (leading critics to label the band as self-indulgent), now, the music is far more straightforward.

Even still, the melodies of songs like "Caravan" songs like "One Little Victory" from a few albums ago, don't quite measure up. It's possible there's a feeling from the band to continue to show they *can* still write strong rock songs like they did in their heyday (remember, after the Moving Pictures album, the band moved to more of a synth-heavy sound, and got push-back from the fans). It's possible there's an emphasis on writing guitar-heavy riffs.

Or, maybe, bands just have periods of inspiration, and they spend the rest of their careers trying to measure up to their period of greatness. And, that's not necessarily a knock on any band (least of all Rush) -- many bands would kill to be able to write and play music even as well as non-'great' Rush.

4 comments:

AnnaMaria said...

I will admit, I didn't watch the videos...sorry. I'm sure that took a long time to do.
Speaking of time, I think that is what the difference is in Rush's newer style. The generation that appreciated Rush early years (aka my generation) actually sat and made time to listen to the music. Come on, 70's people sitting around "relaxing" to the music and indulging themselves in the mysticism. Today, that is all lost. We live in a society where people listen to snippets of music, and base their like or dislike of it on just a few seconds and then "poof" they're on to the next. Nobody listens to a complete album.
That's what frustrates the older Rush fans I think. Rush has been trying to cater to that generation instead of doing what they do best. Putting out epic music with substance.

Slyde said...

they played Priests of the Temples of Syrinx?

im surprised. With how high an octive that song is, i havent heard of that played in a rush concert in years..

Pat said...

I too believe Rush should diversify their set lists - there's so much to choose from. Also, it's time they play more freely on stage, express their musical talents. They have proven show after show that they can play the "perfectionists" dream concert.

The "new stuff" is "straightforward" and safe. But, I don't think they can produce music like 2112 because in those years they were charged to prove themselves or make a statement (or two) about mainstream music. They were younger, and radical (radical maybe bit strong), and these emotions were expresses in their music. They were admired by for their willingness to take control of their craft and thus a die-hard cult of fans emerged. The die-hards (including myself) were with them through those years and that's why we sometimes struggle with the newer material and cling on to the hope they will create music like they did in the mid-70s to mid-80's.

It seems Anna Maria dearly misses the "relaxing", "mystifying" 1970's. I'll have to get her a Time Machine for her B-Day.

Anonymous said...

@Andrew - I think they've played Syrinx at every concert I've been too -- at one show (2-3 shows ago (?)) - they played the entire 2112 "opera"

@Pat/AM - I agree -- the 70s-80s were far more 'inspired' than the new stuff, which is quite straightforward and safe...I also wonder how much is Neil's lyrics taking a step back, as well (having dealt with tragedy, etc., it's become more apparent that the songs are going to deal more with "reality" than "mysticism")

Post a Comment