Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Game's the Thing

About a week ago, I received a phone call from a professor at C.W. Post University, who had found my website online. She was teaching a course on game design this summer as part of a summer game course initiative at the college. She asked if I would guest lecture.

So, accompanied with another member of my boardgaming group, we headed off to C.W. Post today to teach 12 high school/college students about boardgames and design.

It was really refreshing -- the students were definitely interested in learning (and trying) some of the new games they'd never heard of. We taught them two new games, had a brief discussion on the history of games (and modern games) and spoke with a few of the students about their final projects (designing a game).

I don't regret not pursuing a career in teaching -- today's experience didn't change that at all. But, it did reaffirm how much I enjoy teaching - even in a corporate setting. One of my favorite aspects of my previous career was being a trusted advisor/source for a company. In fact, when I explain my role, I normally focus on how a large part of my role was helping others become better communicators (both from a writing and strategic standpoint).

For more details about my class today, check out my board game examiner blog on examiner.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment