Monday, July 12, 2010

Getting Kicked While You're Down

So, I was sending out resumes last week, and came across this job. It's hard to actually identify what's most disturbing about it.
  • It could be the fact that the position will need to write/rewrite about 10 articles a day (contrary to belief, writing isn't something that can be done that quickly ... at least, not good writing). And, while the articles are short (200-400 words), they're not *that* short.
  • It could be the fact that the position will need to write/rewrite 5 articles per hour. That's 12 minutes per article. That's really, really fast.
  • It could be the fact that the pay is $2.50-$3.00 per hour (or less than one-half the federal/state-mandated minimum wage).
  • Or, it could be the final "Note" section:
    EXCELLENT WRITING SKILL IS A MUST!
    PLEASE DON'T APPLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE.
It's hard to determine which aspect of the posting is most insulting to writers, and, this is fairly common in the workplace. Writing is the one skill *everyone* believes they have. It would never occur to me to march into a CFO's office and say, "I was doing some thinking, and I may have a better way for us to track our profits and losses this year." Yet, nearly every writer has been similarly approached with a "suggestion" of how his/her writing can be improved. And, that leads to advertisements like the above ... $3 an hour jobs to churn out 5 articles an hour.

I mean, I still applied, don't get me wrong ... I'm just disturbed by it! (and, yes, I'm kidding about applying...)

6 comments:

Maximus said...

You have to call them on the final note dude - that's awesome.

Maximus said...

I just checked it out and it looks reasonable. I mean, sure they want you to write 10 articles a day -- but THEY are coming up with the titles! :)

Anonymous said...

10 articles every two hours, actually. Hell, I don't even know if I could come up with 10 titles in two hours! :)

The Label Gourmet said...

It was posted by someone who is not/never was a writer.

Matt71 said...

Obviously the person that wrote the ad is sniffing too much White Out.

Anonymous said...

Lynne - I agree...

But, more insidious than that, is the fact that *everyone* thinks they can write. And, the devalues the profession (this is but one of the many ads I've found on craigslist offering rates than migrant farm workers would turn down).

And, it also ignores the strategy/planning part of writing -- obviously, beyond simply scripting the words, there's some thought as to how those words will be perceived - and that's completely absent from these ads (which, sadly, are growing). So, basically, companies realize they need good writers; but they're unwilling to pay for it ... yeah, that's promising.

Post a Comment