Monday, June 24, 2013

New Readers and Upcoming Highlights

In the past two weeks, this blog has really gotten some legs, apparently. People in my network have been sharing the posts and I've gotten a lot of new readers.

It's tempting to say blogs are already passe; but the truth is, there are very few channels that allow for such long form conversation *and* interaction (especially in this day of Twitter, where messages fly back and forth rapid fire, but with no more than 140 characters).

So, if you're a new reader -- welcome. This blog has gone through a lot of iterations. It's focused on jobseeking, customer service, guitar solos and American Idol voting. But, it's always been true to the title of the blog.

Now -- following a blog isn't that tough (but it will be tough for the next week or so). For those who don't know, blogs use a subscription service (known as RSS), which enable individuals to subscribe to content and have it delivered to them (almost like email, but less intrusively).

One of the reasons I chose this platform is because the RSS engine is built in; so -- in your browser, if you want to stay current, simply subscribe to the RSS feed, and each time I post something, you'll know about it.

The reason I say it'll be a little touch-and-go for the next week is that the RSS world is undergoing some massive changes. The leader -- Google Reader -- is being retired next Monday; and a host of new replacements (all with some positive and negative characteristics, in comparison) are waiting to take over. I've been doing a lot of research on this (because I use RSS feeds pretty heavily to keep up with internet content), and almost certainly, my next post (this week) will consist of my findings and my recommendation for a replacement.

In the meantime, if you're new -- look around; kick the tires ... you can skip most of April and May's posts (which dealt with an ambitious guitar solo tournament). Interestingly, this morning, I was thinking I should do something special for my 100th post (and then, I realized my 100th post had come and gone already). Terrified, I wanted to ensure it wasn't something like the third round of the guitar solo tournament; but it wasn't. Instead, it was a piece bemoaning the fact that I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. If you're new -- and all you've read are the past two posts (on networking and LinkedIn), that 100th post is a good place to start.

Welcome, again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment