Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lemonade from Lemons (Responding to the ol' Bait-N-Switch)

I try not to post too much "negative" stuff here, for a variety of reasons: 1 - I believe positivity breeds positivity; and 2 - as someone else recently told me, it's enough for people to know I'm unemployed; I don't need to drive it home with negative stories.

But, despite that, I see this next story as having a positive outcome (on two levels) despite the fact that it was among the most appalling situations I've ever seen.

I had submitted an application as a director of communications to a NYC-based non-profit; one I was exceptionally excited about. I'm always wary of non-profits, because salary isn't usually consistent with the corporate world's titles; but the mission of this non-profit -- educational reform -- was something I found particularly near-and-dear.

Like many applications, I didn't hear anything -- something I've come to expect; although, I do have plans to revisit many of these organizations in August, in a more ambitious marketing campaign (where I'll be marketing myself). In any event, then, last week, I got an email from the organization. They were going to be having a "recruiting open house" this past Tuesday -- the founders of the organization would be there. The email identified me as "as a highly qualified candidate for one of their open roles."

I had two quick reactions to this. First - I thought I should reach out to them and ensure it was "worth my while" to attend; second - I thought this was an amazing, innovative and unique opportunity (although, if multiple people were attending for the same role, it's a little 'gladiator'-like.

I then decided, the OLD Chris would call first; the NEW Chris would just show up, full of confidence, basically saying, "of course it's worth my while; because I'm clearly the best candidate for this role. And, thank you for noticing!"

I hopped on the website, printed out the job description for the director of communications and headed into NYC: $26 in train fare, and about six hours of my life (between train and event).

I arrived and made my way to the 11th floor. The elevator opened and I saw -- maybe -- about 40 people there. Not too many; but still more than I would've liked. I signed in and saw about 15 percent of the people had "communications" listed as their profession. Again, my confidence was strong. I knew I belonged there.

The founder (maybe 23-24 years old?) went through a brief synopsis of the organization and its beginnings; and then she introduced the interim director of talent to go through the open roles. One of those roles was a director of talent (because the current one has a full-time consulting gig; and was only 'helping' out here). She also discussed the director of finance, director of operations and the communications coordinator.

Huh?

So, after the intros, I headed to the founder. Introduced myself; gave a brief synopsis about my background, and explained I was there for the director of communications role (assuming the current director was -- like the talent director -- interim only).

"Oh, yes, we filled that position five days ago." she says. "Well, it's still on your site, as of today?" I inquired. "Yeah, we haven't had a chance to take it down."

I then asked, why was I even invited? Oh, well, we have the coordinator role that we think some of our candidates would be great fits for.

Wow.

I made my way to the talent director; because I wanted to speak with her (since she also works elsewhere). And relayed my story -- I even told her about my initial apprehension in coming, but, "Of course the role would still be open!" I said. "Why would an organization invite people to an event for a role that's not longer available? That would be appalling and complete organizational failure."

Even with this, I still took some positives from last evening. First, that I even just went, without couching my expectations first. Sure, it backfired; but it's still a sea change for me to do something like that.

In addition, I made a great contact. I noticed a gentleman with his own name badge there. His badge identified him as a communications professional; and the look on his face was exactly how I felt (although, I suspect I'm a better poker player, since I wasn't quite as evident!). When I spoke with him, my presumptions were confirmed -- like me, he had applied for the director role; his pedigree is probably even more impressive than my own. In no way would he be able (or willing) to take on a coordinator role.

We talked for a while there (and on the way back to Penn Station), and I think he'll become an outstanding connection. He has some great skills (in terms of job-seeking) as do I, and we figured we'd swap our 'systems' to help each other out. He also recommended I look into publishing my job-seeking system as an eBook, which could potentially help bring in some cash flow.

It's an interesting time for me. For some reason, I'm still *amazingly* positive; but I'm also completely undecided in what makes the most sense. My networking meetings have gone exceptionally well (and I still have many, many more to do).

Only one person, so far, has shown any resistance to meeting (which is incredibly odd, in my opinion); although many haven't responded yet. Fear not; if you're one of the ones who hasn't responded, you'll be getting another invitation from me in a few weeks!

But, the advice I've received has been all over the place. I guess that's what advice is ... it's up to the individual to parse it out and decide what makes sense.

I've been advised to:
  • Start my own company as an internal communications consultant
  • Partner with a friend to offer my services in conjunction with hers
  • Become a career coach
  • Publish eBooks on my job-seeking systems

And, this is only after a handful of networking meetings! The career coach is an exceptionally intriguing concept. I *love* helping people figure out what they want to do. I've created systems that are hands-on and practical (and not simply inspiring or general). And, I write a pretty damned good resume. In fact, my own resume will undergo a *massive* change, based on advice I've received from people so far.

Most importantly, I'm still positive. I know - even if I keep on my path - I have a good road ahead of me, with some really good ideas. I know I'm not looking for a 'job,' but for a career. And, I know the efforts I'm expending *will* pay off. I haven't always been positive this time around (unlike the last time, where I was almost exclusively positive), but I feel my old self coming back. I'm helping people, connecting people and making great connections myself. And, it only takes one ...


PS - I've now added "share" buttons (so, if you read something you like, you can share it on various social media sites) and -- for the RSS-feed resistant among us, I've now added a "subscribe via email" form, so you can be updated via email whenever a new post is made!

0 comments:

Post a Comment