Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Update on "The Grudge"

So, I posted earlier about an ex-supervisor who had been forced to lay me off from a job 16 years ago. I bumped into him at the Department of Labor, and he seemed to not know who I was.

I sent him a message on Facebook, and extended an olive branch. Told him there were no hard feelings, and I offered to even get him into the job-seeking class I was teaching. I offered to share contacts, etc. I was, absolutely, the bigger person (remember, I had done nothing wrong to 'offend' him; I was merely let go).

I then noticed that he'd checked out my LinkedIn page (which means, clearly, he remembered me). Today, I saw I was now "blocked" on Facebook.

My conscience, obviously, is clear. I not only forgave the indiscretion; I also went out of my way to try and assist someone else who was in need.

The response I got has helped convince me that, sadly, some people are beyond help. They simply deserve their outcomes. It's sad (because, as cynical as I am, I also have great compassion for those less fortunate than I). However, it's clear, in some cases, those less fortunate have willingly put themselves in that position. I guess the "everything happens for a reason" mantra really is true.

0 comments:

Post a Comment