Thursday, December 16, 2010

Warning: Dont Trust; Always Get a Receipt at the Library

I've been a patron at my local library for 30+ years. I've never *not* lived in my district (even when I went to college, my permanent address was my home address) and I've always used the library.

A few years ago, I'd offered to give a class on boardgaming (the history, the evolution, but mostly, exposure to some of the new games that have been introduced). I was told that I wasn't an "expert" (despite having won an award for my work on the Internet in the field) and "there would be no interest." Of course, other libraries in the area didn't feel the same way, so only my home library missed out.

That should've been my first clue that things were a little wonky there; but it wasn't until recently that I saw how dangerous these people could be.

On November 26, I returned a book my wife had taken out. It was 5 days late (but, one of the days had been Thanksgiving, so there was no fine for that day). When I returned the book, the clerk mentioned that it was late (a total of $.08). I only had a $20 bill with me, so she said not to worry; the card would still be functional (which didn't matter, as it was my wife's card). On I went.

More than two weeks later, I received a letter in the mail from Kathy Schmidt, the Circulation Supervisor, stating the book was "damaged beyond repair" and we needed to buy the book. Since I don't think a book being 4 days late is "damaged beyond repair," I went to see Ms. Schmidt. She showed me the book, which had  small stain on the outside pages, which was *not* present when I returned the book.

I explained, "this is pretty noticeable (even though I don't think it's 'beyond repair'), wouldn't the clerk have noticed it when I returned it? And, why would she have asked me for the $.08 if I was going to be buying the book anyway?" Ms. Schmidt had no response to that, except to say, "the clerk didn't write down that she spoke with you." The paperwork (who knows when it was written) said the book was "found" in the book drop.

I retorted, "well, since I've explained the entire conversation to you, we know that's not the case. I explained how I was asked for the $.08; how I didn't have the money, etc." She, again, had no response. Effectively, I was left with the perception that she thought I was a) hallucinating the entire conversation; or b) lying about it. However, I had too many facts to have been "lucky" enough to guess the exchange.

Ultimately, she asked me to have my wife call her (as it was my wife's card). I told her, that was fine. My wife would tell her the book was fine and she gave it to me. My wife called and the conversation quickly turned heated. Ms. Schmidt, once again, implicated that my version of events could not have happened, because her clerk didn't write it down. Apparently, it's more likely that I either hallucinated or fabricated the entire conversation and exchange; than it is that one of her clerks might have not done one thing correctly (this isn't even allowing for the potential that something more nefarious happened -- although, obviously, that is the more likely, since the book was not damaged when I returned it).

Evidently, returning the book to the library does NOT end the responsibility of the patron. If the book is returned in good condition and something happens -- even up to TWO weeks later -- the patron will be asked to pay a fine. As with most things in life, it is nearly impossible to prove one *hasn't* done something; so, I've now begun requesting a receipt from the library clerks. It takes a little longer; sure - but, now I have written proof that the books were returned properly and in good condition. If this ever happened again, I would have a written document showing my responsibility had ended.

I would strongly urge anyone who visits the Connetquot Library to do the same thing (although, it's probably a good practice anywhere...)

For the conspiracy theorists, who knows why this happened. Possibly one clerk spilled something and then filled out the paperwork, unaware I'd had a conversation with another clerk prior to that. Even more titillating - since the patron is charged the FULL retail price of the book (example: the book I had to pay for cost me $26.99; I could get it from Amazon for $16.94) and, we KNOW libraries almost certainly get preferred pricing over and above what individuals can get, it's possible this is another way to raise funds in an area that is already over-taxed. Is this likely? I hope not; but then again, prior to 10 years ago or so, it was never thought anyone like a school superintendent could/would siphon away hundreds of thousands of dollars from the school district - and that has now happened a few times.

The only way to protect yourself is to get a receipt that you have returned the books (or other items) in good condition, and with that, your responsibility ends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment