Friday, March 12, 2010

Two Things With Nothing In Common

So, with the end of my unemployment looming (unless Congress passes a bill extending benefits, I have about one month left in unemployment), it's time to ramp up my job search even more. I think I've done a pretty good job so far -- I've certainly gotten interviews -- but I haven't received any offers.

So, this weekend, I'll be contacting about 400 companies directly, inquiring about positions (and proposing my services), as well as approximately 125 recruiters/executive search firms. I am hopeful there will be some interest.

I've also now subscribed to Linked In's "Answers" section - four topics in all - to continue my attempts to "get noticed." Ironically, this is probably the way most wanna-be musicians/actors go about trying to be discovered. Less humorously, I'm not looking to be the next Leonardo DiCaprio! I just want to work in communications for a small/medium-sized company or non-profit.

So, I promised two things with nothing in common. The first, obviously, is my ramped-up job search efforts. The second is this link. At first, I was semi-amused by the concept, but there are a LOT of pictures here, and I started envisioning this almost more as a documentary - like "The Hangover" with Star Wars figures (if only he could've found a Mike Tyson doll).

Anyway, by the end, I was not only laughing, but also, found myself admiring the ingenuity. Hopefully, it brightens up your Friday, as well!

OK - next week, I'll embark on a series of posts - the Top 5 books for Corporate Communicators (or something like that; I haven't really decided on a title, just yet).

0 comments:

Post a Comment