Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Simple Things

So, three weeks into my new job and slowly my life is returning to a state of normalcy (even though I didn't work a full week in all that time -- this winter has been brutal, closing my company twice already).


Last weekend, my wife and I did something we haven't done in years -- went to a double feature at the movies. Before we owned a home (e.g., the years of no responsibility), we did this quite often; but we haven't done it much lately, and certainly not while I was unemployed. And, with coupons and rewards points, etc., it was quite reasonable -- $30 for tickets to two shows, small soda, small popcorn, box 'o candy.

In truth, the 'boycott' was never truly about the cost (although, while unemployed, even $30 is difficult to rationalize), rather, it was always about the feeling that it was wrong to spend time and money on something like the movies while I wasn't working. We certainly didn't wallow in our misery; but we spent our time doing other things that were less costly -- hanging out with friends, etc.

But, it did feel good to head out and actually do something 'extravagant' again (and, yes, I know $30 on two movies isn't extravagant; but -- trust me -- it feels that way).

For the interested, the two movies we saw were "No Strings Attached" with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher (raunchier than I'd expect; but predictable, with some funny and some cringe-worthy parts) and "The Dilemma" with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James (a truly dysfunctional film -- doesn't know if it wants to be a buddy comedy or a relationship drama, and there were a few moments (one in particular) that just seem as though they were added with no regards to the character development established up until that point) ... a shame, as I was hoping to laugh equally as hard as I did at Wedding Crashers -- no such luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment