Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What Can I Do? What Should I Do?

So, I may have reached a crossroads. My job search has been both fruitful and disappointing. I've been called for many good positions - and, many times, I've left the interview *knowing* that I'll be the best person for the job; but, as of yet, I haven't received an offer -- come close, but nothing definite.

This experience causes me to look at what I'm doing and try and determine what my best course of action could be. From all accounts, I'm a talented communications professional -- I've won an award (from the International Association of Business Communicator) for my work in employee/internal communications; but, is that really where I should be? Given the lack of offers, perhaps my skillset isn't what employers are looking for, today?

So, what is my skillset?

1. I'm a fairly early embracer of social media, and the use of it within a company (as well as outside a company).

2. I think I'm a pretty good writer; and an even better editor. Editing is enjoyable because there's an opportunity for teaching/training that doesn't come from writing. Part of what I enjoyed about my last role was the opportunity to advise and counsel senior leadership on strategies pertaining to communications.

3. I pride myself on my organization and project management skills. I definitely consider myself far more organized than most people I know.

4. Although I'm in no way an expert, I'm very proud of my Excel (and database) skills. I have no formal training, though...I've taught myself everything I know.

5. I can be freakishly fast (and accurate) with numbers. For the early part of my life, I wanted to be a statistician; so my love of numbers stems from that.

I had worked for many years as an editor of trade magazines; but the rise of online markets and the decline of pure paper products was too obvious for me to overlook. I enjoyed my last position (working in communications, with a definite focus on internal/employee communications) more than any other job I've had.

Thus, the crossroads -- is that where I should be? Enter self-doubt.

If I were independently wealthy, I might go to law school; or become a professional author (although, you probably need an*idea* to be an effective author; then again, perhaps my life and stresses are too much to generate an idea). However, my mortgage company doesn't seem to accept my "if I were independently wealthy" excuse; so those jobs don't work, currently.

On the other hand, I've always been fairly ambitious -- my last role, in communications, didn't even exist until I created/wrote the job description and submitted it to Human Resources. Is that the best way for me to be? I'm sure there are positions out there, for which I'm extremely qualified, that pay decently and don't require the *attention* that my last job demanded.

So, I turn to you - my readers - in hopes that you might present to me some ideas (or, even better, leads) about what I should be doing ... Many of you know me fairly well. Feel free to ask anything that might help you generate an idea; but I'm happy to hear them all. I have nothing to hide; this is my life we're talking about. The only thing I'll ask is that the suggestions be legitimate -- since my readership is quite varied, please hold back on the less-serious recommendations.

Other than that, I'm anticipative of what you might recommend!

8 comments:

Grete said...

Chris, I interview candidates for a completely different field, but here are the things that I look for when deciding someone is a good fit.

First, the basics: good job skills and demonstrated understanding of the goals of my company. Clean, easy-to-read, reasonably grammatically correct resume. I'm sure that you are spot on in those areas.

I personally have ditched applicants that look great on paper if heshe can't accomplish the following in an interview:

1) Answer questions both knowledgeably and concisely. Too much brevity and I worry that there is not a lot going on upstairs, but too long-winded is just as bad. In a fast-paced work environment, I want someone who can get to the point quickly and move on to the next objective. If I repeatedly find myself counting the seconds until an applicant stops talking, I know this person is going to be a time-sucker during the work day.

3) I avoid temperament extremes as well. Sloth isn't going to cut it but hyper-intense individuals scream "high maintenance", and they would have to be exceptionally skilled for me to take a chance on them. The ideal candidate conveys the impression that he/she is driven enough to do well in the workplace, but mellow enough to roll with the punches when funding streams dry up, projects get nixed, or they need to work with incompatible colleagues.

And now I'm late for MY job, so I have to stop :)

Is there a living to made merging your personal passion for gaming, your social networking skills, and your ability to slap together a sentence with panache?

Anonymous said...

Grete,

Those are great points. I'm often concerned that I *am* too long-winded (and, I try, hard, to keep tha in check). I think I definitely look good on paper; and I think I present a moderate temperament as well.

I wish there was a living to be made through that combination; but the boardgame industry (in the U.S.) is decidedly low-paying - and, I'm not sure I'd even want to work in that industry ... it's a hobby, and I would hate to see my love for the hobby decreased because I worked in the field all day.

Matt said...

Hey Chris,

The fact that your getting interviews means that your experience and skill set gets attention and its what those companies were looking for.

I can say from knowing you, that you're very qualified for a decent position in a writing or communication capacity if that's the career path you want to continue in.

Which leads to the interview. Has salary every been discussed? If so, could that have disqualified you because they don't want to pay you what you think you're worth? Have they asked you what you made in your last position? If so, giving them a number might scare them away.

Maybe its something you're doing or not doing at the interview? Do you get nervous during the interview and the interviewer sees it? Are you sometimes giving long answers to questions? That may come across as nervousness.

I assume you have some examples of how you found solutions to work related challenges that show the interviewer that you're a problem solver? Do you have examples that show your initiative, organizational skills, etc.

Do you ask questions about the company (except salary and benefits of course). That shows interest in the company.

Think back to your interviews and see if there might be something your not doing to sell yourself as well as you apparently do in your resume and cover letter.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Trust me, I've gone over my behavior at interviews. I think I'm doing a decent job.

My point in writing this was more a case of trying to decide if there's *another* field I should be in -- communications is, regrettably, viewed as a "luxury" position by many companies (to their peril, of course). I don't want to find myself in a similar situation 5-10 years from now, again.

So, is there another industry or career I should be looking at, with my set of skills, that might provide me with more stability?

Lily Zajc said...

Chris,
After knowing you for only a short time, I have some ideas, probably out of the box, without much consideration for viability or lucrativeness. Since you possess a knack for communicating, educating and writing/editing, what about creating webinars or even (oh gosh!) printed materials on: social networking, RSS feeds, computer skills, blogging, etc. Or re-create and market yourself as lecturer, and teach folks the latest and greatest skills they must know to keep up with the times. You could target social organizations, senior citizen centers, professionals in transition, etc.
You may not see revenue in the beginning, but you good obtain some pretty fair publicity. Like I said, just a thought and if you want me to write your press releases, I will. Haha.
Lily

Anonymous said...

Lily,

I really, really, really don't want to be a consultant. I may even have used too few "really"s in that sentence.

There's a variety of reasons why; but, honestly, I want to work for a single company; go to work, and know that company intimately.

I don't really have the right mindset to be a self-practitioner...I'm far more fond of the security that (mostly) comes from working for a single company.

Matt71 said...

Chris,

You mentioned that if you were independently wealthy, you would go to law school. Even lawyers have been laid off and students are not finding any jobs in that profession.

Recently I heard two interviews on NPR. One was a man that passed the Bar in two states and is working at RadioShack for minimum wage. Another interview was about five law students that are about to graduate. None of them have jobs with the exception of one who was offered a job a year from now working in the government as a social worker.

What I'm saying is that nothing is safe as far as careers go now. If you are going to go back to school for something else, just make sure you have a real interest in it. Otherwise you are just going to put yourself in debt going to school for a career that isn't going to guarantee employment. Even teachers are being laid off now. And tenure will be a thing of the past it seems because more and more people want to hold teachers accountable for the job they do.

My advice to you would be to hang in there for now. I don't think your industry is the problem. The economy is not in great shape and all industries have been hit. When you have time, start looking into other careers that may interest you enough to leave your current one to do something else. Just don't leave your current career just because of hopes of stability or more money. Stability doesn't exist and doing something just because it may pay well will make your miserable in the end.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

Well, if I were independently wealthy, I wouldn't need to worry about getting a job :)

I wouldn't be looking to leave a current job for more stability or more money -- when you're employed, you *have* stability (at that moment) -- but, when you're unemployed, it's not all that hard to find more stability.

Post a Comment