Wednesday, February 10, 2010

American Idol Dilemma

I've never been a fan of any reality TV. I've resisted the urge to watch Survivor or any of the other reality-based competitions (although, more recently, I *have* fallen prey to the cooking shows).

Nevertheless, for the longest time, I stayed reality-TV free, and bemoaned the demise of the scripted TV show. Last year, towards the end of its season, I began watching American Idol, mainly because I'd been reading so much about Adam Lambert, and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of competitions (my primary hobby is boardgaming, and the cooking shows I've come to enjoy are VERY competition-oriented), so American Idol's method of removing one candidate each week was quite appealing to me.

I decided, this year, to start watching from the beginning, in hopes that I might be even more invested in the show -- and, so far, that's worked. It's also provided some classic moments ("I'mma gonna ride on a air-o-plane!")

But, in the more recent episodes, an interesting dilemma has emerged -- one of the contestants -- "Big" Mike Lynche -- was in the early stages of the competition, having made the first cut to get to Hollywood, when his wife went into labor with their child.

I explained to my wife that this would be a difficult situation to be in -- whether to stay for the auditions or be home for the birth. She said, "You stay, obviously!" But, I don't know that it's that obvious.

The odds of making the next level are astronomically bad. The odds of being the ultimate winner are even more infinitesimal. Does it seem like something you would want to miss the birth of your child to pursue?

Perhaps I'm too cautious in life...I think I would be hard-pressed to miss a childbirth to pursue something as far-fetched as American Idol, but, then again, I've never been in such a position; maybe, if I'd spent my life pursuing something like that, I'd feel differently...then again, perhaps it's age and maturity -- I've come to learn what really matters in life, and what you shouldn't take for granted.

How about you? Would you miss the birth of your child if you had the opportunity to pursue a dream like American Idol?

Jump down if you want to read a spoiler about the season (and, don't get mad if you do)!































What makes "Big Mike's" decision more forgivable is that, apparently, he *had* made it to the Top 24 (one of the top 12 men), which now raises the odds considerably for success....and then, his dad told the papers, and Mike was jettisoned from the competition for violating the confidentiality agreement.

He's still listed in the spoilers for the top 24 contestants (remember, don't click the link and blame me!)...but, I'm most disappointed that my early choice, Charity Vance, didn't make the cut, apparently. I'm still hoping against hope that the leaked list isn't actually accurate or official.

I desperately need a job.

4 comments:

AnnaMaria said...

When you're in your early 20's, you jump on an air-o-plane and you go. Even if the odds are gravely against you....otherwise you live the next 60-70 years with "what if". A supportive wife would tell you to go. It's not that moment of birth that makes you a good husband or dad, it's what you do with those moments later.

Jenn said...

As either the person giving birth, or the spouse, I think it is of upmost importance to be at the American Idol auditions. Failing that, a karaoke bar would also work out nicely (if the birth still has not occured, of course the mom-to-be should refrain from alcohol.)
I'm an American Idol junkee, and am hoping they move the age bracket to over 30 - I would sooo be there (birth or no birth.)

Anonymous said...

Really - so both of you would 'understand' if your significant other skipped childbirth to pursue their dream? Does it matter if the dream is personal to the individual, or, does it have to be something that could be potentially lucrative?

AnnaMaria said...

Is it a personal dream/goal? A once in a lifetime situation? Not to minimize the birth of a child, but really, the baby isn't going to remember. Plus, our parents had us and the woman was alway alone. You don't do it for your child, you do it for your spouse...just like you support your spouse in his/her dreams.

Post a Comment